Sunday, February 27, 2011

Parenting....One of Life's Greatest Teachers!

Beau leading Gracie back to the house after church!
I find it interesting that some of the greatest and toughest lessons I've learned here in Africa don't have anything to do with Africa. We see a wide array of pathology on a daily basis. We are constantly stumped by medical and surgical mysteries. We see poverty and tragedy that is unexplainable, and spiritual warfare that is quite evident. Even with all of this, my greatest lessons have been learned from parenting my two small children. I love my kids more than I can describe. More then anything I want there happiness. On a daily basis I'm confronted with the conflict of giving great gifts to my kids versus giving them the discipline and instruction they need to be the people the Lord intends for them to be.
Gracie already going after the older boy!

Beau of course, being three, is the more challenging at this stage in his life. I can't make him see that all I want for him is happiness. If  he would just listen when told, and do the things I ask him to do, our house would be filled with more peace. Instead there is a constant butting of heads as he tries to assert his own desires in a world where I already foresee most of his immediate consequences. I'm sure the parallel I'm making is quite obvious at this point. Its clearly evident how God looks at me as I look at my son. My stubborn, hard-headed attitude must frustrate our Creator as he patiently awaits for me to fully embrace His love!

Beau cooperating nicely as we put on the cast, of course the bag of Reese's on the bed helped a bit!
 Today, I was struck with another powerful analogy while working with Beau. His schizencephaly does not allow the right side of his body to work the way it should. We previously casted his left arm for a couple of weeks so his brain would adjust and increase the nerve output to his right hand. We saw significant improvement in his right hand even after that short time. Of course, being limited to only the use of his poorly working hand, he didn't enjoy the experience.

Today, we felt it was time to cast his left arm again. Its not something we enjoy doing.....in fact we dread it. That's why its been several months since we have re-casted him. We do know how much it helps, and for long term use of his right hand, its so important for him. Unfortunately, he doesn't see or understand the immediate or long term benefit. When I told him what we were going to do today he just started crying. He looked at me with his tear-filled eyes and said: "Daddy please don't put that cast on my arm". You can imagine how low I felt as a parent as I tried to comfort and reassure him. I can only imagine this is how God feels as we are in the midst of trials or suffering. We beg and pray for him to remove us from the situation. Only our prayers go seemingly unanswered. He knows the benefits of our short term suffering. He knows that our perseverance and faith are developed by allowing it to continue. Its just so hard to get your mind around this concept in the midst of pain.

In scripture there are many verses that address this idea of trials sharpening our faith. My favorites include: Hebrews 12:3-17, James 1:1-8, Romans 5:3-5, and 1 Peter 1:6-7. In Hebrews 12 if you jump to verse 7 it says: "No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it" Verse 12-13 made me think specifically of Beau's situation as it says: "Therefore strengthen your feeble arms and weak knees. Make level paths for you feet, so that the lame may not be disabled, but rather healed."

Despite Beau's pleading we did cast his left arm. He is now starting to except the idea of having the cast on for a week. Oh course, he has come up with several unique reasons why we should take it off more quickly. As Beau always does, he has risen to the challenge with his infectious smile. He is now proudly showing off his cast to his friends, especially the lion and monkey his mom drew on the cast. Even now he's back outside with some of the local Shona kid playing soccer.   

No comments:

Post a Comment