Friday, February 18, 2011

Body and Soul Aerobics Class

Body and Soul class


I have had the opportunity to be involed with the aerobic class here. Last year a short term missionary named Brenda started the class which is called "Body and Soul", for the local women.  April and I starting exercising with them and April took over teaching after Brenda left. April and I were hoping this would continue but didn't know who would take over after we left. Fortunately there were 2 volunteers, Anna, a long term missionary, and Miriam. They both agreed to do the Body and Soul training and take over the class. Neither one of them had any exercise experience, but both have done a wonderful job with the class. Many of the local woman and nursing students come.

The class seems to fluctuate greatly in numbers from 3-20, depending on what is going at the nursing school.  We were able to bring over about 30 sports bras, donated by Harvest Church, to give to the ladies that attend.  They have really appreciated this gift, as there are very few sports bras available  in the area.  Harvest Church also gave us Daily Bread devotionals that we have been giving out to the women.  Anna encourages them each aerobics class to get into the word of God on a daily basis and I think the Daily Breads give them a very practical way to put this into practice. This is really a very good ministry here, as it provides the women an appropriate place to exercise, with an emphasis on their spiritual health as well.  One of the ladies told me, "It is OK for the whites to go on a jog here, but if I were to do it, people would think i was being very lazy".  "Lazy?" I said.  "Yes, they would think I was lazy because I was running instead of spending my energy on the fields" she replied.  That was interesting, a little insight into the culture around us. 

Eating candlelight Indian food in the courtyard.
I am glad to be a part of the class and get to know more woman through it.  We can all keep Anna and Miriam in our prayers, as they are full time nurses and they still work very hard to make time for this ministry.

No comments:

Post a Comment