Sunday, February 13, 2011

Beau's Big Day!










I think they were playing a derivation of 500 in the water!
Happy Birthday to Beau! His actual birthday is in 2 days, but today turned out to be a good day to celebrate, so we decided to have all the festivities on Sunday! The last couple of weeks have been really hot, because it hasn't rained much. Yesterday, I found the old kiddie pool from last year. I blew it up and it held all the air without leaks! The only problem was the water. We haven't had much water past 11am the last week, so we hated to fill up the pool with water other people could use. Well, today we got lucky because we had a great rain, and we easily filled the pool. This afternoon was nice and hot, so it was a perfect afternoon for a pool party. 


Gracie, Beau, Jeremy, Jo Jo and Caleb all having fun!

Last year we had a few to many kids, so I think Beau was a little intimidated. This year we let him pick his favorite couple of friends to invite to his pool party. He chose Jeremy, Jo Jo, Caleb, and of course Gracie (not that he had a choice on that one). So this afternoon the 5 of them ran around and swam as long as they could. We also gave them a nice ice cream (picked it up in Harare last weekend) break which I think was Beau's favorite part.


Gracie loved her ice cream, and desperately wanted more!

Gracie held here own with a pool full of boys!

At one point I looked over and saw that Beau had positioned a patio table right in front of the pool. He had climbed up on the table and bent down to ready for a jump. I saw him and  yelled: "what are you doing!". He calmly said "I just wanted to make a diving board!" I of course told him that was a terrible idea, but inside I was thinking "that might actually work pretty well". Well I guess I know where he gets it.

Homemade Winnie the Pooh cake....Wow I couldn't believe Shea made that from scratch!


After the afternoon of swimming and eating the kids were getting tired. We put out a few fires and got them ready for the next round of activities. All the long term missionaries were getting together to throw a triple birthday party for Beau, Rita, and Kathy Stevens (who we affectionately call "Ambuya" which means Grandmother in Shona). Kathy is married to Roland Stevens and she was turning 85 today. She's quite an amazing women as well!

We had a great meal.....potluck style! Although the whole meal Beau just kept asking: "When is it birthday cake time?" He's been talking about his birthday cake all month. For him the dinner couldn't get over fast enough. Finally, the time came to blow out the candles and open presents. He got some nice toys and trinkets from the missionaries here. He especially loved Ambuya's gift. She gave him a huge box filled with cookies. We then got to the cake....Beau's favorite part! He quietly sat in his seat and managed to eat about 4 pieces. I guess thats what I get for telling him he can eat as much cake as he wants on his birthday. It actually took him until nearly 10pm to stop talking to himself in bed. I guess that's why you don't give sugar to 2 year olds after 7pm.


Beau waiting to blow out his candles..sitting next to Ambuya!

We have been so lucky to have Beau in our family for the last 3 years. He has been a huge blessing to both of us. He has been an incredible example of perseverance to those who know him well. Things haven't always come easy for him, and he's had a lot of bumps and bruises along the way. You would never know it by his demeanor though. No matter how many times he falls, he always gets up with his infectious smile, heart warming laugh, and a courageous heart thats always ready for more. I'm so proud of him and lucky to have him as my son! Happy Birthday Beau! 

1 comment:

  1. I know I already wrote on John's facebook wall but I'll say it again. So Sad that I'm missing Beau's 3rd birthday but I can't wait to spoil him when you guys get back to lovely Iowa :) Looked like he had alot of fun with his friends and loads of sugar! :) Miss and Love. Renee

    ReplyDelete