Saturday, January 22, 2011

No Power, No Water, No Problem!!

A little bedtime reading!
We just finished a 5 day stretch without power. It is something we became quite accustomed to last year. This year we were hoping for a little more power consistency. Unfortunately, the only thing that has been consistent is the lack of power. Water has also been a bit of a problem. The water pumps have been dry by 11 am since we've been here. It really hasn't been that difficult though. We've learned to take showers early and save the water for dishes later in the day. (We haven't had to use cloth diapers yet either...that's been awesome). We have a generator on the compound that comes on several hours a day to help with some daily tasks, and gives us a chance to check emails. We also have a gas stove for which we do most of our cooking, and plenty of good flash lights. (We've even had to pull out the headlights again for Csections) I find it interesting how quickly our perspective can change, and how quickly things that seem necessary, just become luxury.
I was just reading in Psalms 63: 1-8 the other day. As always, I was struck by David's reliance on the Lord. He says: " My soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you in a dry and weary land where there is no water" The Lord was his ultimate source of power, strength and protection. Being here really puts that passage into perspective. To often while living in comfort and luxury in the US my eyes are taken off the Lord. I instead  turn toward my own strength, and ability to provide for myself and family. Thankfully, being here has really reset my mind and heart to a complete and utter dependence on our Lord. I hope this way of thinking can persist and I continue to say as David says: "My soul clings to you; your right hand upholds me".

No comments:

Post a Comment