Monday, January 25, 2016

The beautiful feet of children!

A small child's footprint nestled between my feet.

Every Tuesday, we drive about 45-60 minutes up a winding, dirt, 4-wheel drive requiring, road to take medical care to the people of Chiminisijuan. Leslie Ficker and her team have faithfully been bringing medical care to the people of this region for over 10 years. This last Tuesday was no different, except for the fact we had some vehicle malfunction. The motor in our vehicle would only allow us to putter along at 2-4 mph. After about 1 1/2 hours of this, we made the decision to get out and walk the rest of the way. The hike is beautiful, as we are nestled high in the mountains surrounded by picturesque views.
A family and their pet waiting outside of clinic
A family waiting to be seen.

A girl patiently waiting for instructions

During our hike, I couldn't help but notice all the footprints, from the well worn trail we followed. What really caught my attention was the multitude of tiny footprints. As you can see from my picture above, there were scores of these little footprints from children who were walking to receive medical care. In some cases, these children and their families had to walk many miles to receive basic medical care. As I walked to the clinic, and even while seeing patients I couldn't help but ask "Why?" Why were these children born into such poverty? Why do they often go without food, proper nutrition, and basic medical care? Why do they go without education, and why do most not have fathers to help raise them? The other question that burdened me is: why do my own children have opportunity for all those things? Sometimes, it feels like life is simply a cruel, random, roll of the dice. Either you have opportunity or you do not. The indigenous children of these mountain villages have to face the stress of survival daily. Where often the greatest stress to my own children and their friends is "how much time do I get on the ipad today?"

I think a natural response for all of us, in the face of these questions, is anger, guilt, and/or confusion. I'm happy to say that these are the wrong responses. Our response really should be overwhelming gratefulness. This gratefulness should give birth to an abundance of generosity of our time, talent, and/or treasure. Although, I know, for some money is scarce. Thankfully, most of us have either time or abilities that can be used to bless others, while sharing the Gospel of Christ. I don't know why God allows some to have, and some to have not. What I know is that He has given His Son to all, for forgiveness of sins. This gift of eternal life, through Jesus, is absolutely free and knows no socioeconomic, racial, or national divide.
Beau found this weird looking green caterpillar 

I'm grateful that my children are fed, clothed, and educated. Although, as I sit here today, my biggest prayer is that my children will have beautiful feet. Paul says in Romans 10:15: As it is written, "How beautiful are the feet of those that bring the good news." The good news of which Paul speaks is that God sent his son Jesus to save the world. Through his death, burial, and resurrection, we all have the opportunity to not only have eternal life with Him, but a relationship with Him on this earth. Whether or not we have an abundance of material blessings, our families can have beautiful feet by bringing this free gift to all those whom God has put in our lives.
Gracie loves climbing trees.
The kids enjoy playing on the rock pile.
The kids hiked ahead to scare us.
I found Reid resting his feet

3 comments: