Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Surgery Day

Well I'm kind of new at this whole blogging thing. This is really my first pure blog. I usually just prefer email, but this seems to be the new trendy thing to do so I guess I'll give it a chance. I guess the way this works is you just start writing whats on my mind....well if I did that you would all be bored, because right now all I'm thinking is Taco Bell, Taco Bell, Taco Bell. Sorry I guess I'm a little hungry and I miss my old favorite fast food back in the states. Anyway back to my point. I think blogging is kind of like journal except everyone can read it. Thats kind of strange, but Oh well I'll give it a shot. I was going to sleep since our internet was down t0night, but happened to check before bed, and I guess its working again. Shea just went to sleep, and both the kids are down for the night(well at least beau, Gracie still likes to wake up on some occasion) Anyway, today was a great day at Karanda Hospital in Zimbabwe. MWF our my work days, and on TTH Shea works and I stay at home with the kids. Well Wen. just happen to be surgery days, so today after rounds, I got to spend all day in the theatre. It was wonderful! There is just something satisfying about reparing something thats broken. Well.............I guess I didnt really repair a whole lot today. We really just took a lot of things out. Namely testicles and prostates. It sounds a bit harsh but they are both actually quite fun to do, and you dont need to be a brain surgeon to do it. We did fix a few things though. A few broken bones, small intestine that was seperated, hernias, a clubbed foot, and a kids brain that wasnt draing fluid that way it should....just to name a few. So it was a great day at work!!! We then spent the evening on a 3 mile walk with the kids. We discovered how beautiful Zimbabwe really is. We havent ventured to far from the hospital until now, but it was breathtaking to see the rolling hills, farms and forests. Its also quite fun to see all the people walking with us on the dirt roads. Cars are quite a luxury that we have really gotten used to. But most people around here 3-7 KM every day just going to work, school, or down to the river to get water.
After the walk we all enjoyed a nice dinner, and sat inside and listened to the thunderous rain as it poured over our roof. It is such a wonderful sound, as the people here have been quite concerned over the drought which has hit them right in the middle of the farming season. So tonight is an answered prayer.
Well I guess that is the quick summation of my day. I can honestly say that we are really starting to enjoy our lives here at Karanda. There is still daily struggles and obstacles, but struggles will arise whereever you might live. In the end the Lord is in control, and you have to lay your head on your pillow at night giving all your concerns and worries to him. I'm so thankful that we serve a loving God, and so thankful that he loves Shea and my kids more then I ever could. I gladly give him the reigns!!!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, it is so good to hear about your day and see pics. Beau looks so big all stretched out. OKC is bracing for a big ice/snow storm on Thursday.

    Yes, God is in control and he is always with you. Keeping you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete